In John's Leadershift book, he mentioned seven fundamental leadershift practices:
- Continually learn, unlearn and relearn – Knowledge changes rapidly and requires constant updating.
- Value yesterday but live in today – Focus on current challenges, not past glories.
- Rely on speed but thrive on timing– Timing is everything.
- See the big picture as the picture keeps getting bigger – The more you know about a subject, the more you understand how much you still have to learn. Think of this as "layered learning." As your knowledge about a subject increase, you gain a more comprehensive understanding of the subject's context and the big picture.
- Live in today, but think about tomorrow – You aren't a leader only for today. You will be a leader tomorrow. Plan accordingly.
- Move forward courageously in the midst of uncertainty – Leaders get paid to deal with uncertainty.
- Realize today's best will not meet tomorrow's challenges – In today's world of radical change, what worked for you in the past might not work for you tomorrow. Spend time planning how to get better.
I highly recommend this book.